Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Joy in Praying for Others

A fairly new and dear friend of mine refreshed my soul last night at our church service by reminding me once again of the joy in praying for others. Being forced to take my little babe's squirming out in the foyer during the evening service, another mom and my friend, was having to do the same thing with her little one. As we sat and talked about how we were doing and what was going on in our lives, I happened to open up  about a current situation I'm going through with another close and much loved friend. I had not planned to talk about the burden or shed tears, but the news from the recent weeks about my other friend had not been encouraging and I've found this week that the emotional heaviness of the situation weighed upon me.

As I finished talking, this dear friend listened with compassion and grace and then asked if she could pray for the situation and myself. As she did so - my tears flowed freely. She prayed things I hadn't spoken about and words that I was struggling to find, she knew. It was a blessing beyond measure. As she finished her prayers, I then in turned began to pray for her. Our time was in sweet fellowship, not just with one another, but also with our awesome and loving LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ. I came away from the evening with neither mine nor my friend's circumstances changed, but with a peace and joy beyond understanding and a renewed joy. As I contemplated on the evening this morning, I realize once again how joyful praying for others can be. 

The Apostle Paul gives us a beautiful example of praying for others in Ephesians 3:14 - 21: 
"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever (PROMISE!). Amen."

 As Paul helped us see here, prayer is a call for the All-powerful God to do a supernatural work in people, to be the peace in a storm, to be our friend, companion, helper, counselor, and so on. One of God's Names is "I AM that I AM" - meaning that He is all that is needed for you and for me. How awesome is that?! Whatever you need, wherever your at in life, God is there to MEET all of your needs. The same "I AM" that was at the beginning of time, is the same God of 2011. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forevermore."

Prayer allows our life to be changed by the Almighty. You can come/go to Him with ANYTHING that is going on in your life. For my friend and I last night, it was bringing our request to God and letting Him take our burdens, be our strength, and be the LORD of everything in our lives. You can pray about ANYTHING - that's the beauty of praying, of having a personal relationship with God.

Paul's prayer can help you to see what we should pray for in other people - these I've underlined. You can take even the wording and impute it into your own prayers - it's ok, praying God's Word isn't plagerism. :) And the beauty of praying what Paul wrote is that it is God's desire for ALL people so you can never go wrong in praying these things for another person!

Jesus said it best:"Love the LORD God with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength, and love others as yourself." Part of loving others is by praying for them and such a simple act of love and kindness can have a profound impact on their lives and yours. Prayer is one way we love others, become a better part of God's family - something that is so needed and vital for today.

 So here's a challenge for you as it has been for me these past few months, and I encourage you to partake: Spend time daily in praying for other people in your life. Challenge yourself to look beyond your life and your circumstances, and use prayer as God's opportunity to use you for His will and purposes. Just as my friend's sensitive heart to the LORD last night was God's tool for encouraging me, so too being willing to partake in other's lives, struggles, joys and pains. It will give you the chance to be used of God and for God to be glorified.

Whether it be a simple and short prayer or a long-drawn out cry to the LORD, set your mind to love other people in this manner. By in so doing, not only will you open your heart more up to the LORD, but you will  have an eternal impact on "life" as we know it.

As you pray, you will be encouraged, blessed, and be given joy from the LORD! He desires that we be a family - a whole unit, supporting, loving, caring, and encouraging one another to grow in the grace and knowledge of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Busy schedules, the "lists" of life can so rob us of our focus. Being a mom, a full-time worker, or just a person caught up with the here and now, it can be challenging have our focus outside of "us," but it can be done. Jesus can give us the ability to pray for others, the strength to set aside our mind, and to speak for others. We "can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens" us. "Ask, and it shall be given. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened to you." Ask the LORD for help in this area, seek to set your mind upon Christ, and knock on the Door that leads to eternal life, Jesus Christ Himself. 

May Jesus guide you and lead you in your day today. And may you know the power, joy, and blessing of praying for others that God has given to us through His Son, Jesus!

Love in Christ, 
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment